Hero deaf girl, 10, saves family from deadly blaze after smelling burnt waffles

News

A hero 10-year-old girl saved her family’s life by raising the alarm when a blaze broke in her home.

Daisy Potter, who is deaf, was asleep when the electrical fire broke out while she was home with older siblings Beth, 16, and Alfie, 13.

Both were sleeping in their rooms in Kirkby, Merseyside.

Mum Clare was out collecting a clothes order with daughter Millie, 11, when the drama began on Monday last week.

She was shocked to return to find the fire had broken out, but heaped praise on her quick-thinking daughter.

Clare, 48, said: “My dad had passed away and it was his funeral on Friday so I went to Matalan with my daughter Millie to get some pants for my oldest lad.

“Beth, my eldest girl, rang my phone screaming, ‘mum, mum the house is on fire!’

“I dropped everything and came home and there were firemen all over the place.”

The blaze had taken hold of the entire living room caused by an electric fire attached to the wall.

Clare said: “My little girl, Daisy, has special needs and she wears a bone conductive band for her hearing.

“She was in bed and she heard the smoke alarm going off even though she wasn’t wearing her band.

“She ran along the landing to Beth’s room and as she opened the door there was thick smoke and couldn’t see anything and said, ‘Beth Beth, I think Alfie’s burned the waffles’.”

Clare said her eldest daughter, who had been asleep, saw the smoke coming up the stairs and flew out of bed grabbing Alfie and Daisy – and their two dogs – and got everyone out the house to safety.

Pictures of the aftermath of the blaze show the downstairs living room after it had been completely gutted by the fire.

Black marks from the wall where the fire spread from the electric fireplace to the TV and ceiling can be seen in the photos showing the extent of the damage.

Clare said the fire crews believe it was down to the electric fire being plugged into an extension socket and not straight into the wall.

Unfortunately for the family, the house wasn’t insured but Clare said she is just grateful her children are safe.

Currently the children are being put up by family members but Clare is having to sleep on the kitchen floor of the gutted home while she attempts to clean the house as best she can.

She said: “I think it was all the adrenaline of last week but then I got up this morning and watched people going to school and work and life was going on, and I hit this brick wall thinking ‘my dad’s gone and the kids aren’t here’.

“I don’t know where to go after here. People say ‘didn’t you have insurance’ and I did until last October when a letter arrived saying a direct debit failed. I’d put it on top of the unit to deal with it later, and with home schooling and the kids, I just didn’t get round to it.”

Clare’s cousin, Joanne, has set up a fundraising page for the family to try and raise money for the repairs to their home.

Despite everything that’s happened, Clare says she’s just grateful that her children got out safe and that Daisy – who has a developmental delay and partially deaf – was the one able to raise the alarm just in time.

She said: “We still don’t know how she heard it. You ask yourself what happens if she doesn’t wake up and what if, what if. But they’re here and I’ve got to move forward.

“But when you wake up on the kitchen floor and the kids aren’t here and it’s just a shell at the minute – it’s hard. I need to get it sorted so I can get them home.

She added: “I found a voicemail on my phone from Daisy on Friday night and she said, ‘mummy it’s Daisy, how many more sleeps in dad’s because I want to come home and get my mop and help you clear up’.”